133

I read a poignant New Yorker piece by Patti Smith about Mourning Lou Reed. She said something that delighted me:

"I met Lou at Max’s Kansas City in 1970. The Velvet Underground played two sets a night for several weeks that summer. The critic and scholar Donald Lyons was shocked that I had never seen them, and he escorted me upstairs for the second set of their first night. I loved to dance, and you could dance for hours to the music of the Velvet Underground. A dissonant surf doo-wop drone allowing you to move very fast or very slow. It was my late and revelatory introduction to “Sister Ray.”
Within a few years, in that same room upstairs at Max’s, Lenny Kaye, Richard Sohl, and I presented our own land of a thousand dances."

LAND OF A THOUSAND DANCES!!!

That's what I'm creating here. Plus one.

The Velvet Underground are terrific to dance to, it's true. I think I will tomorrow.

This morning I listened to 99 & Barry though, the 10/4/13 show archived on AfterFM.com. Not only are those guys incredible DJs and an ideal couple, they also make me laugh every time. This morning I was laughing out loud in the graveyard. It felt strange to hear myself laugh in that huge quiet place. I loved laughing there though, laughing in the place of death.
Dreaming of Berlin.
I always stop and look at the Post cover on my way. Big Bill's the new mayor.
These grave photos are endlessly fascinating to me. And I love this woman.d
Didn't quite get this one right, the phones not over the ears. I'll have to recreate it tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Probably number 750 at this point.

147

135