583

 Tonight I went with Siyal Music's Galactic Road on Mixcloud

2 hour mix. It got me all the way there.

I headed first to the free library at Skillman Park.

It's been magic for me lately.

Last time I went I found the PERFECT gift for my student Li-yen, to thank him for fixing my i-Phone, two Chinese Wuxian novels. There were on the end of the stacks, the first thing I noticed, as if waiting for me.

Tonight I couldn't believe how many great books were there. But the first one I found was called The Proust Project, contemporary writers, great ones like Lydia Davis, choosing a favorite passage from Proust and then writing an essay about it. I can't even imagine finding a better book. And once again, it was right there on the end of the stack, as if waiting for me. 

What to make of this kind of magic. You certainly can't question it. Part of the magic is believing it,

against all logic. 

The next thing I found was a best of John Prine CD. This also felt destined to me. Like the very CD I would pick out if I had Virgin records at my disposal.

A book I didn't take, but wanted, and there were several, was a short story collection curated by Somerset Maugham. There must've been 50 short stories in it, and only a dozen I'd heard of before. I wished to have an entire summer to read it and knew that I probably never would. But I did take a picture of an O'Henry story therein that I had never heard of. 

I went from there back to the house to drop off the books. My legs hurt a little, and I found myself having to push into the dance. It was a bit painful, but the music wouldn't be denied.

After dropping off the books I went to doughboy park. My plan was to dance around the track, but there was still snow on it, so I went to the center of the basketball court. It was after dark and no one was playing. There's a 12 foot diameter circle painted in the middle of the court, with the NYC Park symbol in the middle, a maple leaf. This particular Maple leaf has been painted in with a grey spray paint. It looks like Rauchenberg to me, or maybe a Jasper Johns. 

I decided this was going to be my dance circle tonight.

The sky over the apartment building looked like 

This made me think of Eileen Myles.

I thought about the book, Cloud Box.

I decided I should rewrite it for Eileen, make it more for Poets, 

make it undeniable, like Proust, like Sarah Silverman suggested.

I also had the idea of writing an essay describing my favorite works of art,

and why I loved them, starting with

I also had the idea to bring silent disco to this park in April,

throw a dance party for whoever wants it,

ask for $5 donations. Maybe in Sunnyside Gardens too.

I faced the 4 directions and did Yoga bends down and around.

I danced. The clouds were in shapes. The sky was darkening

from Maxfield blue to midnight blue. The moon looked

straight out of Woody Allen's midnight in Paris,

big and fake and better than real life.

I kept thinking, why can't I accept all this as real? 



The other book I got was a book on magic by David Blaine

His talent is laudable, but his ego is laughable

The quotes in it were good though, like,


"If it be magic,

let it be an art."


Shakespeare



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

526