581 Neil Young Words

 I've been out a few times

Today teaching Ferlinghetti in memoriam, 

His Queens cemetery poem,

went to a Jewish museum.

Fell in love with a Sadie Sternberg

who died in 1928 at the age of 21

but the photo with miles of style

and a radiant smile

I notice next her sister

on the other side of her father and mother

Rose Sternberg, died in 1923 at the age of 27.

What happened to these sisters? 

The mother went in 1925 at the age of 51.

Suddenly I am that father

and it's literally too sad to bear,

I find my mind running away from the pain

and back into that smile, as if the other side

of it cannot be accepted, and so I simply don't.

The brother outlived his whole family,

and outlived his sisters by a factor of 3.

I can't imagine his pain either, seeing Sadie's smile,

knowing what it was. I still dance though 

in the snow, as though on a frozen river of tears

on the crystal frontier. Proust is on my mind too,

he of the Jewish mother with a divided France,

what every subtle reference means to Dreyfus. 

Make it a habit to ook at the sky every day the Rabbi told me.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

526