339

Today took Ana Lucia to central park on the bike. The ride there so smooth and elegant. To Al Green who is celebrating his 70th. Always Green. Asked her what she wanted for lunch she said a bagel, so we grabbed one and sat under a willow at 65th street entrance, watching the baseball players, the perfect arc of the ball as it sailed past the trees lining Central Park West, blonde mushrooms at our feet. Then up again to the carousel. Need to be 5, Lucia is 4, and I could go on with her, but they charge you double. Lame Carousel scalpers. Lucia cried because I refused to pay $6 for a carousel ride. I told her we would find something better. We kept going until we heard music. A jazz band was playing near 62nd street entrance. We went in watched with a crowd of people. I told Lucia I would be her carousel and so we danced and I spun her around and around, whirling her overhead, a hundred times better than a carousel,  with a soundtrack to match. The drummer was blind and so I shut my eyes and let myself be completely carried by his subtle rhythms, Lucia in full swing.

Left to pick up Sofia at school. Traffic was backed up everywhere, afternoon rush, so suddenly we were late for pick up. The way back to sunnyside is 2 miles up hill. I huffed hard to get to the school on time and barely made it.

Welcome back to the dancing. It's been too long. Apparently I need inspiration?


FB rewrite:

Today took Ana Lucia to central park on the bike. The ride there was smooth and groovy because I was listening to a back catalog gem on Spotify, "Al Green Explores Your Mind," from 1974. Always Green. We grabbed a bagel for lunch on the way and sat and ate it under a willow, surrounded by blond mushrooms, near the 65th street entrance on the west side, watching batting practice at the ball field, following the perfect arc of the balls as they sailed past the trees lining Central Park West. After lunch we headed to the carousel. They asked how old Lucia was and I said 4. They said she needed to be 5 to ride alone. I could go on with her, but I'd have to buy a ticket too. Lame. Lucia cried because I refused to pay $6 for a carousel ride. I told her just watch, we'll find something better. We kept riding until we heard music. A jazz trio was playing near 62nd street entrance. We went in watched the band for a minute with a small crowd of people from all walks. The drummer was blind and so I shut my eyes to try to hear what he was hearing, letting myself be completely carried by his subtle rhythms. When the band lit into Take Five I got up and took her to onto the dance floor. I told Lucia I would be her carousel. I spun her around and around to the music, whirling her overhead and twisting her in the air. Lucia later admitted our dance was even better than Central Park's carousel. I gave the $3 I was going to give to the carousel to the musicians. A better deal all the way around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

526