321

I'm A crossing the Hamilton Fish toward Beacon, a giant brown bridge spanspanning the great Hudson, like the byzantine vertebrae of a giant brown whale. I meant to appropriate seeing as to how Hamilton, via the eyes of Lin-Manuel Miranda, has become a metaphor resurrected for our golden hip hop age. I watched a V of geese fly just over the lip of the Hudson, toward the shore. I think to take out my phone, but remember the snow leopard in Walter Mitty that Sean Penn did not capture. I am listening to David Bowie's Blackstar, maybe his greatest work of art, and the saxophone comes in, that  inimitable David Bowie saxophone. And I remember hearing in one of the countless interviews as of late how he started out wanting to become the saxophone player for the Little Richard band. I understand that exactly. So this saxophone solo built up to it's messy scattershot climax just as the geese hit the shore, scattering the several geese waiting, in perfect disharmony. Dancing across the Hamilton Fish, the bridge from Balmville to Beacon. The Hamilton Fish, why, because it looks like the byzantine skeleton of a giant fish laying across the Hudson, big brown whale, seems fitting, seeing as to how Hamilton has become the reigning metaphor for the hip-hop age, thanks to Lin-Manuel. But I looked out of my feet, see a rip in the seam of corrugated concrete on the bridge I am crossing. Hart Crane looms large, gyring up like a gull trawling for spirits. I could jump. He jumped. This morning my daughter said, my four-year-old daughter said, she was going to kill herself. She had no idea what she was saying, just playing, but the words were a shock. A rip in the seam of the bridge, where nature is tearing apart the solid structures of man, and through the hole in the walkway I can see you, perfectly framed, the brown bear top of a tree 100 feet below me, as I near the Beacon side, over the river now, but not clear. My farseeing friend Keriba challenge me on Facebook to put up seven pictures of nature. I was hesitant, but because it was her, I said yes. So this hole in the fabric of this modern bridge, this Hamiltonian Fish, is the frame through which I view nature now below. The little tufts of moss around the lips of the maw are reaching up and out into the future, where green reigns supreme. I reflect on this rip in the seem as I dance down the runway of a dream.

Cleaned up: (and note, easier to read, not necessarily better)

Acrossing the Hamilton Fish toward Beacon, a beige bridge spanspanning the great Hudson like the byzantine skeleton of a ginormous whale, and seeing as how Hamilton has become a metaphor resurrected for our golden hip hop age and all. I watched a V of geese fly just over the top of the river, toward the shore. (Q. Why is one side of the V longer? A. Because it has more birds.) I think to take out my phone, but remember the snow leopard in Walter Mitty that Sean Penn did not capture. I am listening to David Bowie's Blackstar, maybe his greatest album, and the saxophone comes in, that undeniable David Bowie saxophone. And I remember hearing in one of the countless interviews how he started out wanting to become the saxophone player for the Little Richard band. I understand that exactly. So this saxophone solo built up to its messy scattershot climax just as this V of geese hit the shore and scattered the several geese waiting there, in a clash of perfect disharmony. I looked down out of my feet, just then, and saw a rip in the seam of corrugated metal of the bridge. I imagine the bridge unraveling. Hart Crane gyres up from the seams like a gull riding the currents, trawling for fish. One could jump. He jumped. Ugh. A rip in the seam of the bridge, where nature is tearing us apart, and through the hole in the walkway I can see you, perfectly framed, the brown bear atop a tree over 100 feet below me, as I near the Beacon side, over the river now, but not quite clear. The little tufts of moss around the mouth of the Hamilton Fish are reaching out into the future, where green is supreme.

--


See the bear? Bear was originally a mistranslation of "bare" by voice recognition software, but look, there really is one!


Walkway dance floor

Mighty Hudson 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

526